The first few weeks of school are very time consuming, and set the pace for the rest of the year.
Here are some priorities:
- Review classroom rules (daily).
- Get to know your students (I love doing an “All About Me” paper with each of my students. Here is a free All About Me worksheet!)
- Get baselines for your students levels. Each district has different criteria for testing. (For a really simple way to get your students’ or child’s reading ability, try the San Diego Quick.)
- For students on IEPs (Individualized Education Program), review: student levels, goals, accommodations, modifications, and any other pertinent information. Even if you are not the student’s special education teacher, you should know this!
- Set up small groups for instruction, based on student needs.
This is how I spend my first few weeks of school. Once I have this organized, the rest of the year runs much smoother. I hope you are all off to a great start!